What is personal information?
“Personal information” is information or an opinion, in any form and whether true or not, about an identified individual or an individual who is reasonably identifiable. Examples include an individual’s name, address, contact number and email address.
The kinds of personal information we collect and hold
The kinds of personal information we collect and hold about you depends on the nature of your dealings with us and the circumstances of collection, including whether we collect the information from you as a customer, business customer, supplier, contractor, job applicant or in some other capacity.
- if you make an in-store purchase or obtain a quote from us, we may collect your name and contact details, details of your purchase, your address and your delivery address.
- if you obtain a quote or put goods on hold, we may collect your name and contact details;
- if you visit a store, we may capture images of you through our CCTV cameras;
- if you enter a competition or promotion, we will collect your name and contact details;
- if you participate in a survey or customer research, we may collect your name and contact details together with information about your product preferences and feedback; and
- if you send us an enquiry or feedback through our website, we collect your name, contact details and location.
If you deal with us in some other capacity, we may collect your name and contact details and any other information you choose to provide to us.
We may also collect details of the interactions you have with us.
We do not generally collect sensitive information (for example, health information), and we will only collect sensitive information about you with your consent (unless we are otherwise required or authorised by or under law to do so).
If you are or become an employee of us, the handling of your personal information may be exempt from the Australian Privacy Principles if it is directly related to your current or former employment relationship with us.
How we collect personal information
We may collect your personal information in a variety of ways, including from you directly (such as when you visit us in-store or interact with us in writing, electronically or by telephone), when you visit and communicate with us through our website or social media sites or when you participate in a competition or promotion run by us.
Sometimes, we may collect your personal information from third parties. For example, we may collect your personal information from marketing agencies we engage to administer our competitions, promotions, surveys or customer research.
The purposes for which we collect, hold, use and disclose personal information
We collect, hold, use and disclose personal information for a range of purposes, including:
- to quote or supply our products and services;
- to process your orders and communicate with you about those orders;
- to respond to your enquiries about our products and services;
- to send you invitations to special events and demonstrations;
- to process payments made to us;
- if you enter one of our competitions or promotions, to administer your participation in that competition or promotion;
- for our administrative purposes and internal record keeping;
- to provide you with customer service or technical support, and deal with any complaints or feedback you have;
- to perform research and analysis;
- to manage our relationships with our suppliers and contractors; and
- to consider job applicants for current and future employment.
We may use and disclose your information for other purposes required or authorised by or under law (including purposes for which you have provided your consent).
If we are unable to collect personal information from or about you, we may not be able to respond to your requests or enquiries or engage in certain other dealings with you.
Direct marketing and customer surveys
We may use your personal information so we can contact you with information about our products and services, special offers, promotions and events that may be of interest to you.
We may contact you by email, SMS, MMS, mail, social media or telephone. You can let us know at any time if you no longer wish to receive these communications, by contacting us (using the contact details at the end of this policy) or using the opt-out/unsubscribe facility in our communications. You can opt out by clicking the unsubscribe link on the bottom of the email, or calling us to remove your mailing address from our database. You will be deemed to have consented if you do not opt out when we offer you the opportunity to do so, and this consent will remain current until you advise us otherwise.
Disclosure of personal information to third parties
In conducting our business, we may disclose your personal information to third parties for the purposes outlined above. These third parties include, but are not limited to:
- third party sellers, in order to fulfil your order;
- financial institutions for payment processing;
- our contracted service providers, including:
- delivery and shipping providers;
- information technology service providers;
- marketing, promotional and market research agencies; and
- external business advisors (such as accountants, auditors and lawyers); and
- if you are a job applicant, referees whose details you have provided to us.
We may also disclose your personal information to other third parties and for other purposes where we are required or authorised by or under law to do so (including where you have provided your consent).
We will use all reasonable endeavours in ensuring that any third party who receives personal information from us only uses the personal information for the purpose for which it was supplied.
How we hold personal information, and quality and security of personal information
We generally hold personal information in computer systems, including computer systems operated for us by our service providers. We take reasonable steps to protect the personal information we hold from misuse, interference and loss, and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. This includes taking appropriate security measures to protect electronic materials and requiring our service providers to do so.
We take reasonable steps to ensure the personal information we collect, use and disclose is accurate, complete, up to date and relevant. You can help us by letting us know (using the contact details at the end of this policy) about any changes to your personal information, such as your address and phone number.
Access to and correction of your personal information
Please contact us (using the contact details at the end of this policy) if you would like to access or correct the personal information we hold about you. We will generally provide you with access to your personal information (subject to some exceptions as permitted by law), but may charge an access fee to cover the cost of retrieving the information and supplying it to you.
Collection of information other than personal information
Some of the information collected about your visit to our website is not personal information, because it does not reveal your identity. For example, we may record your server address, the date and time of your visit, the pages you viewed, any documents you downloaded and the type of browser and operating system you used.
If collected, this information will be used and disclosed by us in anonymous, aggregated form only, for purposes including statistical analysis and web site development. You are not individually identified. However, we reserve the right to use or disclose this information to try to locate an individual where we reasonably believe the individual may have engaged in any unlawful or inappropriate activity in connection with our website, or where we are otherwise required or authorised by law to do so.
Please contact us (using the contact details at the end of this policy) if you have any concerns or complaints about the way we have collected or handled your personal information. We will investigate your complaint and respond to you in writing within 30 days. If you are not satisfied with our response, you can contact us to discuss your concerns or lodge a complaint with the Australian Information Commissioner (www.oaic.gov.au).
Contact details and additional information
by phone: 03 6231 6633
by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
by post: 133 Bathurst St, Hobart, Tasmania 7000
Elite Appliances (Hobart) P/L
Banovich Family Trust & The Trustee for Mark Banovich Family Trust trading as Elite Appliances (Hobart) Pty Ltd